Perfect Coconut Macaroons:
3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
2 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional, for dipping)
- Preheat your oven to 325°F (160°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy cleanup.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sweetened shredded coconut, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract, and almond extract (if you’re using it). Stir these ingredients together until they’re well mixed.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites with the salt until stiff peaks form. This will give your macaroons a light and airy texture.
- Carefully fold the beaten egg whites into the coconut mixture. It’s important to be gentle here to maintain the airiness of the egg whites.
- With a spoon or cookie scoop, drop rounded tablespoons of the macaroon mixture onto your prepared baking sheet. Keep them about an inch apart from each other.
- Bake the macaroons in your preheated oven for 20-25 minutes. You’ll know they’re done when they turn a lovely golden brown color.
- If you’re using chocolate, melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips either in the microwave or over a double boiler. Then dip the bottoms of your cooled macaroons into the chocolate, placing them back on the parchment paper to set.
- For a decorative touch, place a halved maraschino cherry on top of each macaroon.
- Allow the macaroons to cool completely before you serve them.