For over 2000 years, cloves have been revered in Asia for their medicinal and culinary virtues. Since their introduction to Europe in the Middle Ages, cloves have gained fame comparable to pepper. Surprisingly, 95% of global clove production is directed towards Indonesian cigarettes, overshadowing its popularity as a spice.
The fragility of the clove tree and the delayed harvest, starting from its eighth year and rarely reaching flowering, contribute to this phenomenon. Harvesters collect the flower buds, drying them until they attain a brown hue.
1. Against Stomach Ache: Infuse 4 or 5 cloves in a large cup of boiling water for around ten minutes to create a helpful drink for digestive issues like stomach aches and bloating. This easy-to-prepare clove infusion can be consumed regularly to alleviate digestive disorders.
2. Against Bad Breath: Combat post-meal bad breath by sucking on a clove. Known for its breath-freshening properties and dental health benefits, clove is often used in toothpaste and mouthwashes due to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory attributes.
3. Relieves Dental Pain: Eugenol, a potent antiseptic in cloves, acts on peripheral opioid receptors, offering relief for dental problems and sore gums. While eugenol can be used in mouthwash or tincture, severe pain requires dental consultation.
4. Relieve Muscular and Rheumatic Pain: Create a pain-relieving massage oil by blending 10 drops of clove essential oil with 30 ml of vegetable oil. Applying this mixture to painful areas three times a day can provide relief within 48 hours.
5. Prevent Colds with Cloves: Leverage clove essential oil’s antiviral and antibacterial properties to prevent winter infections. Dilute 1-2 drops in olive oil or dissolve it on a sugar cube, ingesting it before meals one to three times a day for up to a week.
6. Calm UTIs and Kidney Stones: For urinary infections or kidney stones, prepare an infusion with cloves, adding a drop of lavender essential oil for enhanced effectiveness. However, always consult a doctor for proper treatment in case of urinary tract infections.